Tuesday

We're Taking Up a Collection......

It’s getting expensive to work these days. I’m very lucky to work on a team of 11 people and in any given year 11 people have birthdays, 2 relatives die, 1 baby is born, there is 1 engagement, 1 wedding and Christmas hits. If the team were all guys, an email would go out and it would be a zero payout year. But again, luck becomes me and I have two women as the team’s administrative assistants. Now we have Birthday Lunches, Birthday Cards, Christmas Gifts, Baby Shower Gifts, Wedding Shower Gifts, Wedding Gifts and the occasional bereavement gift of a donation to a charity in the deceased’s name. When did it change from working for money to paying to work? If it were up to me, I wouldn’t give one red cent. Instead, I'm guilt-tripped into donating to each respective fund. Even worse is that I find out after the fact that I've inadvertantly given more than the others. I didn't want to give in the first place, and then I end up giving more! What the fuck? I’ve given enough money toward others on my team to make a rent payment. If there is one good thing that can come from this, it's that free lunch once a year! Mmmm Bittersweet!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you cheap bastard!

11:51 AM, June 29, 2005  
Blogger Courtney said...

Or how about a going away gift? One guy actually stood up at work once and said, "Well, I'm moving on to bigger and better things" He might as well have added a "So long suckas" in there and maybe a slap in the face - and we got him a golf shirt. Terrible. And then there's always the card - what do you write to co-workers? I always just pretend I'm signing the yearbook of the person who sat behind me in English class that I exchanged pleasantries, but nothing more - usually go with the "I'm signing your crack or something else pretty mature". I actually got invited to a going away party this week at my new client site - I had been there two days, but I could already tell that we were really going to miss Mike and Lou.....it just won't be the same...

I'll sign your petition to outlaw this any day of the week (so long as it's not inside a birthday card) - cause then I'd just have to go with 2 Cool + 2 Be = 4 Gotten

10:57 PM, June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home