Thursday

I Wish You Would Quit Lying to Myself

You ever get horribly drunk on a Friday and hurt like you’ve never hurt before that Saturday? You tell yourself this way of life will lead you to an early grave and promise yourself not to drink that much again. You go out on Saturday with these good intentions, accompanied by the trusty sixer of non-lite beer. (You normally drink lite but for heavens sake, it’s only a six-pack) This is a common means of restraint used by many people. Next thing you know, the sixer is gone and you’re off to the store to buy another case, in addition to that pack of smokes (ultra-lights because they’re healthier). Sunday rolls around and you hurt like you’ve never hurt before.
Telling yourself you’re only going to drink in moderation is like going to the grocery store and buying a basket full of vegetables. You take them home, put them in the crisper and throw the same rotted vegetables out two weeks later. Your intention when buying them was to eat them, but deep down the only reason you bought them was to make you feel good about yourself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I once knew someone who was 26 and in AA - I wondered where he drew the line between being an alcoholic and just being 26....it's fuzzy I think (partly due to the alcohol I'm sure). I like to think that line is day drinking during the week before work - so if you're not there yet, you're fine....you're just being a twenty-something.

Maybe you should try some "Chasers" - a new product on the market designed for just these occasions - however, I come back to the phrase "If it seems too good to be true...it usually is" - I'm afraid it will have some horrible side effect not diagnosed yet, I mean to prevent a hangover after an all night binge? Doesn't seem quite natural... The commercial for this product cracks me up - I should've been on the creative team for this. It's a guy in a suit who somewhat resembles the teach from Ferris Bueller, but not as funny saying what a wild night he had and now he's fine. But it never shows "alleged" wild night - I think a before and after would've been classic on this - some type of table jumping, knocking stuff over, or being beligerent the night before the big presentation - that'd sell me...so long as he didn't grow a horn b/c of the use of these...

9:12 AM, July 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home