Thursday

Feeling of Gratification

I was cleaning out OLD emails and I came across this one I sent out many years back. 12/31/03 to be exact. I used to use my company email as a forum to the outside world until I found Blogger. So now that I am here I share this tidbit with you all.


From: Joshua Faseler
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 1:09 PM
Subject: Feeling of Gratification

Today has come to be known as a day that I realized my worth as a Transactions Analyst at Orix Capital Markets (OCM). You see today started out as another dead day before a major holiday that is filled with much anxiety of future parties to come and void of much meaningful work. It wasn't until around 12:05 today, as I was finishing the last couple of bites from the leftover spaghetti that I ate last night and the previous night before that, when our company mail man (Richard), officially known as an "Office Service Assistant" according to our company directory, delivered a small box to me that my feeling of worth hit me. Curious to see what was in the box I quickly opened it and to my surprise was about 500 or so BEAUTIFUL, clean and crisp business cards. I ask myself, "What have I done to deserve such a treat?" The answer still eludes me, but I do know that I have entered into a circle that only a select few enter into in a lifetime. I am officially a CompanyBusinessCardHolder. Otherwise known using the acronym CBCH.

It didn't take me long to compare this experience to something that happened to me way back in the year 2001. I was 21 at the time and I set out to buy a new truck, which is a pretty awesome ride as some may know, but lets not get off track here. After making the biggest purchase of my lifetime, my salesman walked me outside to my newly washed cruiser, handed me the keys, and said "Thank You"............ for his commission. I was so excited! Right before I was about to drive off in my very first new car I see my salesman (picture a slightly overweight car salesman wearing a not so well ironed white shirt smoking a cigarette) running towards my window. What did he have in his hand not including the 3/4 burned cigarette soon to be flicked by one of my shinny new tires? A brand new baseball cap smelling of Doral Lights. He hands it to me and says thank you again as I drive off. Wow, I spend $25K and I get a cap! If that isn't the deal of all deals! Plus how many college kids do you see wearing a Shamrock Chevrolet cap in the bar? I would venture to say not very many other than me. Again I am getting off track. FOCUS! I could picture my salesman walking back into the dealership after handing me my keys, meeting his manager asking him why he didn't give me a cap. Like they felt obligated to give me something in return for my $25K check.

This brings me all the way back to my original story. Did OCM feel obligated to give me business cards for my hard work and efforts to bring profit to the company? Well I like to think so for I know I am a major asset to this establishment, and small though it may be, I am important enough to erroneously pass out business cards with my company name on them to random people I meet.

I leave you with these thoughts and to the newcomers on my mailing list I leave them with thoughts of my saneness. Good Day!

Josh

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It should make you feel good that you're lucky enough to have an employer that will give you business cards. You work for a fine establishment. My employer, the bank of new york, is so cheap that they won't even give us business cards. So doesn't it make me feel like a sorry bastard when someone hands me their business card, and I have to tell them..."Hold on, let me tear off a piece of this napkin and write down my contact information, b/c I don't have a business card"...at which point, they usually look at me funny, and I have explain to them that the organization that I work for is far too cheap to provide their employees with business cards.

1:55 PM, March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please change your profile to indicate your correct company title. Thanks, Management

10:43 AM, April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home